Why our customers prefer Blue Cross
- Option of getting insured without a medical exam
- Excellent rates
- Pioneer in the field of health insurance with over 80 years of experience
- Friendly service from experienced agents who can answer your questions and assist you when needed
- Coverage that can be customized to meet your specific needs
- Discounts and savings with our one-of-a-kind Blue Advantage program
How long can I be outside Canada before my RAMQ coverage expires?
Are you planning an extended leave abroad? To maintain your RAMQ public health insurance, you must be living in Québec more than half the year. If you’ll be away for more than 182 days, you must request an extension to your public insurance -- before it expires. If your trip will last more than 182 days, contact us.
Provincial health care for Canadians leaving Canada for an extended trip
If you are leaving Canada for an extended period, it is important to contact the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) in advance to make them aware of your absence and obtain authorization for extended absences. You can thus avoid having your public health insurance coverage expire while you are away. It is much more difficult to re-apply for public health benefits after they expire. Obviously, you must also subscribe to a travel insurance plan as soon as your departure from Canada is confirmed and the extension of your RAMQ coverage is authorized. You will then have proper protection.