When the unexpected happens, rely on expert assistance.
Blue Cross, through CanAssistance, provides immediate expert assistance for any medical emergency situation you may encounter while you’re travelling. CanAssistance representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, with an assistance network that spans the globe. Along with our service partners, we ensure you receive the help and comfort you need as quickly as possible.
It is important to be well-informed about your destination before you depart. CanAssistance can help you prepare for any event while you travel and provide you with information on:
- Consular travel warnings
- Visas and other mandatory documentation
- Vaccinations and first-aid kit supplies
- Time zone differences
- Location of a clinic or hospital close to where you’re staying
CanAssistance representatives can:
- Recommend a doctor, clinic or hospital to provide the care you need for your condition or transport you to the nearest centre of excellence if adequate care is not available at your destination
- Contact your family doctor and ensure that the medical team treating you is fully aware of any pre-existing health conditions
- Monitor your condition closely until you are well or back in your province of residence
- Assist with payment of medical care and transport
- Coordinate repatriation by road, air ambulance or commercial flight, ensuring that the safest means of transport is taken based on your health condition after it has been assessed by a nurse or a doctor
- Stay in close contact with your family. With your consent, CanAssistance representatives will keep your significant others updated on your situation. Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to answer any questions you or your family may have
- Organize the coordination and arrival of a family member to be with you if you require hospitalization for more than 7 days
General assistance services
- Theft or loss of documents or funds
- CanAssistance can help with the loss of identification, traveller’s cheques and other important documents. Representatives can assist in contacting your financial institution and the nearest embassy to have new documents issued promptly, so you can continue your trip.
- Translation service
- Representatives are available to help you in emergency situations. We have assistance coordinators who are fluent in multiple languages, and through our simultaneous translation service, we can provide assistance in over 100 languages. If you need assistance explaining your situation to local officials, we are always available to help.
- Accident or legal problem
- CanAssistance can refer you to a legal information service and deliver your messages to family members during your time of need. Depending on the recommended procedures, we do our utmost to help you deal with the situation by making our communication systems available to you.
- Trip interruption
- With our network of suppliers, CanAssistance can help you and your family return home as quickly as possible. In some cases, you may qualify for a refund of premiums or package deal. Our claim advisors will provide you with the details to speed up your refund and promptly forward the required documentation and forms to you.
- Return of a vehicle
- If you are physically unable to drive due to an accident or sudden illness, CanAssistance will take care of the return of your vehicle. You can be comfortable knowing that our professional drivers will safely return your vehicle to your home.
- Assistance in case of death
- At this difficult time, CanAssistance is there for complete support. Through your partner, we take care of all of the formalities with legal authorities and ensure that your wishes are respected for the return of the deceased.
If no prior arrangements are in place, CanAssistance's authorized funeral home will help you select from the available services. You can call us as often as necessary; we are always ready to listen.
- Post-return assistance
- Blue Cross is the only travel insurer that will provide you with a medical follow-up in Canada. If you are hospitalized abroad and repatriated by CanAssistance, you may qualify for a reimbursement for the following fees upon return to your province of residence, for up to 15 days:
- Semi-private accommodation
- Nursing care at home
- Medical accessories
- Transportation fees for your medical follow-up