Limitations of credit card coverage
The coverage provided by your credit card company may have limitations or restrictions. It is important to review your policy thoroughly for coverage details. It is often recommended that you purchase additional coverage for complete protection.
Check your credit card coverage for the following:
- Travel duration
- Travel insurance cannot be purchased once you depart from Quebec. It is important to check the length of stay covered by your credit card company, as well as any restrictions based on age.
- Emergency medical care coverage
- There are often strict eligibility and stability requirements based on your current health. Make sure you understand the exclusions in your coverage prior to your departure. You could be quite unhappy to learn that a health condition is excluded right when you need emergency medical care. Also make sure the coverage amounts are enough, and inquire about any deductibles you may have to pay.
- Trip cancellation or interruption
If you incurred fees up front, make sure the amount covered under trip interruption/cancellation is enough to save you from financial losses. Most credit card companies do not cover trip interruption or cancellation, and when they do, the maximums are not sufficient to fully cover your costs. Blue Cross can provide you with coverage that protects you in the case of unforeseen situations.Protect yourself and your family. Don’t risk your financial security with incomplete coverage. With Blue Cross travel insurance, you enjoy complete medical coverage by a travel insurance company recognized around the world.
Limitations of group insurance
Group insurance often has limitations on coverage
It is important to be aware of the limits of your group insurance plan. It is recommended that you read your policy carefully, as there may be restrictions and limitations that you are unaware of.
Emergency medical care costs
It is common for group plans to cover only a small portion of emergency medical care abroad. The insurance coverage is usually not enough and comes with a deductible. In most cases, you also have to pay personally in advance and are not reimbursed until your return.
Trip cancellation and baggage
If you incurred fees up front, make sure the amount covered under trip interruption/cancellation is enough to save you from financial losses. Group plans do not usually include coverage for trip cancellation and loss of baggage. When coverage is included, the amounts are rarely sufficient to cover your costs. Blue Cross can provide you with coverage that protects you in the case of unforeseen situations.
Protect yourself and your family. Don’t risk your financial security with incomplete coverage. With Blue Cross travel insurance, you enjoy complete medical coverage by a travel insurance company recognized around the world.
Limitations of provincial coverage
What is covered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)?
Services covered outside Québec
The Ministry of Health and Social Services recommends purchasing additional supplementary health insurance when you travel outside Québec.
* Example taken from the RAMQ site
Without private insurance, you'll have to bear the portion of the costs not reimbursed by the Régie, which could mean a considerable amount of money.For instance, if you were hospitalized for 9 days in Florida for myocardial infarction, you could face a bill of up to $48,560; however, the Régie would reimburse you only $2,200. In the end, you would have to pay $46,360.*
Why get private insurance?
- Many health services outside Canada cost much more than the RAMQ will cover. You are responsible for any difference in cost. A simple fall could cost you thousands of dollars.
- Most health services abroad are not insured by the RAMQ. You would have to pay the full costs for these services.
- An accident can happen to anyone, even during a very short business or recreational trip. Be sure to get coverage in case this happens to you, by purchasing supplementary insurance before leaving Québec.
Further information is available on the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) Web site.