Why travellers prefer Blue Cross
- Canada's #1 travel insurance brand and recognized worldwide
- Over 80 years of expertise in insurance
- $5 million travel insurance coverage, with or without deductible
- Flexible and affordable travel insurance solutions
- Free quote available online
- Travel assistance available 24/7 for any emergency, anywhere you travel
Flight Delay Service
1. Who is eligible for the service?
You are eligible if you travel during the coverage period of your Blue Cross travel
2. Do I need to have cancellation / interruption insurance to receive the service?
No, the service is included regardless of the guarantee(s) to which you have subscribed
3. If I have cancellation / interruption insurance, am I entitled to all my benefits in addition to the service?
Yes. The Flight Delay Service is offered in addition to the coverage you already have.
4. What do I need to do to access the service?
To access the service, you must be registered on the Flight Delay Service’s platform at least one hour before the scheduled departure time of your flight.
5. What happens if my flight delay is announced progressively until finally reaching 3 or 6 hours?
The delay time is calculated from the original departure time.
As soon as the delay reaches or exceeds three or six hours, if it is in one or more announcements, you are entitled to compensation or services provided.
6. How will you let me know I have access to the lounge or hotel?
We will send you a text message (SMS) and an email with a link to a web page, from there, you will be able to download your access ticket to the airport lounge and/ or your hotel reservation.
7. Do I need to pay for the hotel?
No, the Flight Delay service is responsible for booking and paying the hotel room.
All you need to do is submit the booking confirmation which will be sent to you by text message and email at the hotel reception.
8. What happens if the lounge is overbooked or there is no lounge at the airport?
If no airport lounge is available, or the lounge is overbooked, a monetary compensation of $40 per traveler will be paid in real time.
9. What happens if there is no hotel near the airport or there are no more rooms available?
If no hotel room is available, a single monetary compensation of $250 per Blue Cross travel insurance policy will be offered.
10. How will I receive the monetary compensation?
Monetary compensations are paid in real time via Interac transfer or direct deposit to your bank account, depending on the option selected when you registered.
A text message (SMS) and an email will be sent to you when the transfer is made.
11. Is there a limit to monetary compensations?
Monetary compensations are limited to $1,000 per contract. Annual plans have a limit of $1,000 per 12 months period.
12. Will I need to keep any receipts or file a claim form?
No, no receipt or claim form is required.
13. If my flight is canceled, am I entitled to benefits?
Unfortunately, canceled flights are not supported by the Flight Delay Service.
The service is provided to offer you support in case of flight delays only.
14. Who do I contact if there is a problem?
If there’s a problem, please call 1-877-700-2538.
15. What is the deadline to register my flight?
You can register your flight up to an hour before the scheduled flight date.
16. What happens if I miss the deadline to register my flight?
Unfortunately, if you miss the registration deadline, you will not be able to benefit from the Flight Delay Service.
17. Am I required to have access to an internet network when the flight is delayed to benefit from this service?
Yes. Access to the airport lounge, hotel reservations and monetary compensation are sent in real time by text messaging (SMS) and email.
18. Are roaming charges or charges related to the use of a Wi-Fi network included?
No, roaming or cellular charges (including SMS or internet charges) are not covered by Blue Cross.
1. Creating a profile
Can I use the same email address for a 2nd account?
No, you cannot create another profile using the same email address.
Can I create a 2nd account using the same contract number?
No, you can’t open another account using the same contract number. However, everyone who is insured under that contract will automatically be listed on the same account.
How do I reset my password?
To reset your password:
- Click on the link “Forgot password? Click here to reset password.”
- Enter the email address used for this account.
- You will receive a reset code via email.
- A window will open on the flightdelayservice.ca login page: enter the code provided in the box marked “code” and select a new password.
How do I edit my profile?
To change the information in your profile:
- Login to your account.
- Click on the “My account” tab and then on “Edit details”. If you can’t see the “My account” tab, click on the “…” icon in the upper right corner of the window and then on the “My account” tab and then “Edit details”.
- You can change your email address, preferred language and mobile number.
2. Registering your payout information
What do I include in the “Description” section of the Payout method setup?
The description field allows you to customize the label for your selected payment methods.
What do I do if the system doesn’t recognize my bank account?
Make sure that you’ve entered all the numbers correctly as shown on the sample cheque. If that doesn’t work, you can choose another payout method.
3. Flight registration
What do I do if the system can’t find my flight number?
Some airlines post information closer to departure time. Try to register the flight number later. If that doesn’t work, keep all your flight information. If your flight is delayed, contact us and we will make sure to payout the amounts you would have been entitled to retroactively.
How do I enter my flight number?
Enter the alphanumeric flight number as it appears on your ticket or boarding pass without spaces: i.e. AC789.
Who should I list as “contact person”?
The contact person is the traveller you designate from those included on the account who you want information relayed and payments sent for this service. Make sure that person has access to their emails or text messages throughout your trip.