Taking a trip to another province? Travel insurance is a must

Whether you are taking a trip across the border or driving to another province, the only way to ensure that you are protected in case of an emergency is by purchasing a travel insurance policy for your trip.

The Ministry of Health and Social Services (ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux) states that typically RAMQ coverage (while out-of-province but within Canada) is for professional and hospital services only. Therefore, when travelling outside of Québec but within Canada, the ministry recommends that you obtain private supplementary health insurance for services not covered.

Although you will have a limited amount of coverage through RAMQ while you’re in another province, the amount of money you may need to pay for services not covered by RAMQ, such as ambulance service, will typically be more than the cost of a travel insurance policy.