Are you hoping to pursue your studies at a university in Paris next year? Did you get a scholarship to play soccer at Michigan State University? Whatever your situation, you are lucky to be one of the few who enjoy such an opportunity. To study, explore and travel in a new country is sure to be an enriching experience.
Protecting yourself in case of a medical emergency is probably the last thing on your mind, and we can understand why! But you should know that most schools require you to have a medical insurance plan before you begin your classes, and Québec’s public medical insurance plan is limited outside your province of residence.
The Québec Ministry of Health and Social Services (Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux) recommends that you purchase additional health insurance when you leave Canada. To maintain your Québec public health insurance coverage, you can travel outside Québec for 182 days or less in a one-year period, which is less than half the year. For coverage for a longer period of time, contact the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec for authorization to maintain your coverage.
Why Blue Cross for students?
- We have no deductibles, so you don't have to worry about medical costs if you get sick.
- We provide 24/7 travel assistance in case of an emergency, 365 days a year.
- Our assistance services also include free health-related advice from health professionals, legal advice and assistance with passports and urgent communication with your family if necessary.
- We’re part of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association®, which gives us access to the largest medical network in the United States, and we have service agreements with international medical assistance providers.
Options available for students
Your options vary depending on where you travel. If you know you will return home once a month, an annual 31- or 60-day plan may be the best option for you. If you will be away for more than six months at a time, a single-trip plan may be the best option. For more information, contact us today.
|Medical only||Annual Medical||Package Plus||Annual Package|
|Duration of coverage||Up to 365 days||Available for 17, 31, 60, 90, 120, 150 or 180 days||Up to 365 days||Available for 17, 31, 60, 90, 120, 150 or 180 days|
|Emergency medical care|
|Medical follow-up in Canada|
All plans include:
- $5 million for emergency medical care per trip
- Hospitalization fees
- Professional fees for nurses, physicians and other health care professionals for emergency medical treatment
- Up to $2,000 for emergency dental treatment as a result of an accident
- Emergency repatriation by air ambulance or commercial flight with a medical escort
- Return of your travelling companion and/or family members covered by the same policy
- Up to $3,000 for accommodation and meals if your return is delayed due to a medical emergency